Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 3.5 hours
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 kgs beef short rib
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tsp Chinese five spice
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 125 ml / ½ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp Goldcrest honey
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 1 star anise
- 1 – 2 fresh chillies, sliced
- 2 cups sushi rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 80ml / ⅓ cup rice vinegar
- Spring onions, to serve
- Sesame seeds, to serve
For the short rib:
- Preheat oven to 160˚C.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large dutch oven.
- Brown the pieces of short rib on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger and five spice to the same pot. Cook until fragrant.
- Pour in the soy sauce, hoisin, Goldcrest honey and chicken stock.
- Return the browned short ribs to the pot and add the cinnamon, star anise and chilli.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Cover with a lid and place in the oven for ± 2.5 – 3 hours or until very tender.
- To thicken the sauce- carefully remove the short ribs (they will be very tender and falling off the bone) and place the pot on the stove. Reduce the sauce until desired consistency and then return the short ribs to the pot, basting with plenty of sauce before serving.
For the rice:
- Place rice in a mesh strainer and rinse with cold running water, until water runs clear.
- Pour rice into pot with 2 cups water.
- Bring rice to a boil. Cover and turn the heat to very low as soon as the rice comes to a boil.
- Cook for 10 minutes. Switch off the heat completely and leave covered for 15 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, dissolve the sugar and salt in the rice vinegar over a low flame.
- Pour mixture over the rice and fold gently with a wooden spoon. (Dip the wooden spoon in water to prevent the rice from sticking.)
Serve the braised short ribs on a bed of sticky rice and garnish with spring onions and sesame seeds.